E-Newsletter for
May 5, 2023
View this email in your browser >
Leer en Español
website facebook 

Dear Friends,

This weekend our 2nd graders will receive Holy Communion for the very first time! The first of many... what a joy today is for them!

This gives me an opportunity to speak about the reality of the Holy Eucharist. Statistics indicate that only 30% of Catholics believe in the True Presence of Christ in the Eucharist. This leaves 70% of Catholics who do not believe it at all or think that the Eucharist is merely a symbol of Christ's presence. These numbers are chilling. Yet, it would explain the mass exodus of baptized Catholics from the regular practice of the faith. It would explain why so many practicing Catholics do not go to confession. Furthermore, it explains why there is a great shortage of vocations in the priesthood and religious life, not just in the Diocese of Springfield but all over the country. How is it possible that we have gotten to this state in our Church?

In my own opinion, those who were in charge of leading and shepherding did not fulfill their obligation to do so. They were lax in faith and morals, and so the sheep, the faithful, became lax. The Mass became more about the priest and less about Christ's presence. The last few decades the Church has seen a steady decline because - why bother coming, if it's not real? Why bother coming if I'm already a "good person"? Those entrusted to shepherd us have failed us. They chose to align themselves more with the secular culture rather than stand firm in Truth.

The Second Vatican Council teaches us that the Eucharist is the very source and summit of our Catholic faith. Jesus made it very clear as well that His flesh is true food, His blood is true drink. And on the night of the Last Supper, gathered with His apostles, He gave them bread as His body and wine as His blood. This is precisely what happens in the Mass ... the Sacrifice of Christ takes place on our altar and He is made present to us.

Today, in my generation of priesthood, the pendulum begins to swing back to a return to Truth, Beauty, and Goodness, to a deeper awareness of God's presence via a more faithful and reverent worship. In this way, we might begin to understand exactly what the Council Fathers meant when they said that the Eucharist is the "source and summit" of our faith and, as such, see more clearly, with the eyes of faith, the mystery that unfolds before our eyes.

God bless you!

Fr. Jon

News & Events

Please watch here for news and events, and join our events for good Catholic community!

First Communion Rehearsal

will be held Saturday May 6th at 10:30am. First Communion will be a bilingual Mass on Sunday May 7th at 10:30am.


will be held on Sunday May 28, 2023 at the 10:30am Mass.

A Kids Craft Day

is planned for Saturday, May 13th from 10am to 12:30 for ages 8 years old and up at the Holy Name Social Center. Come and join in on the fun! And it’s free!

The Legion of Mary is Sponsoring A Coffee & Donut Social Hour

after the 10:30am and 12:30pm Masses on Sunday May 21st. All are welcome!

The Steubenville East Conference

will be held the weekend of July 21-23, 2023. This event is open to all high school youth of the diocese. Registration is now open and the diocese is offering a $75 discount for all who register. Don't miss out on this Spirit-led event!

Click here for more info: https://lifeteen.com/events/steubenville-east/

Encuentro Youth Ministry is hosting a weekend retreat

at the Shrine of Divine Mercy May 26-28, 2023. Spots are filling up, register soon!

Joy Has a Name Youth Event

with speaker Paul Kim, will take place on Friday May 12th, at Pope Francis Prep. This event is free to all high school youth. Go to joyhasaname.org for more information and to register.

Construction on the New Church Roof

A reminder that while the church roof is being replaced, adoration of the Blessed Sacrament on Tuesdays is suspended until the completion of the project.

Want To Be A Prayer Warrior

and help Our Mother achieve victory against the evil spirits at work in our world? Join the ranks of the loving and supportive members of the Confraternity of the Holy Rosary. You will be united in prayer with them and the entire Dominican Order around the world if you simply pray the 15 (or 20) mysteries of the Rosary each week. We will be having sign-ups after each Mass April 29th and 30th.

Holy Name Newsletter

Sign up to receive our weekly email newsletter which highlights the events and news of our parish! Spanish version is available!
Watch new episodes of Coffee with JF here:
Coffee with FJ
Email Marketing Powered by MailPoet